There are undoubtedly 101 ways UK small businesses can save energy and lower their costs. But just how significant would it be if SMEs increased their energy efficiency?
According to the Carbon Trust
, UK SMEs
account for 45 per cent of business energy
usage and, says Harry Morrison, general manager of the Carbon Trust Standard Company, UK SMEs have the greatest potential for savings on energy: 20 per cent compared to eight per cent for larger organisations.
"That means that when added together, the potential for savings by SMEs could be up to £1.1 billion," says Morrison.
The truth about UK small business energy consumption
The bad news, however, is that the big majority of UK small businesses are missing out on savings because they are not aware of energy efficiency
solutions that can save them money and lower their environmental impact. Perhaps because engineering companies devising energy saving solutions for the workplace are not good at communicating with small business.
The big majority of UK small businesses are missing out on savings
In a recent survey published by E.ON Energy*, the big majority of UK small businesses are missing out on savings because they are not aware of energy efficiency solutions that can save them money and lower their environmental impact.
The research paints a picture of poorly managed small businesses that could be saving more and wasting less.
• Only one in five (21 per cent) of UK small businesses have energy efficient equipment in the workplace. That means almost four million small businesses are wasting precious money and resources.
• Almost nine out of 10 (86 per cent) don’t have lighting timers or motion sensors in their workplace
• Eight out of 10 (81 per cent) don’t have an energy monitor installed in the office
Only 15 per cent of businesses have a smart meter.
Our Editorial Response: The Greener Workplace Special
In response to this concerning state of business affairs, GreenWise Business will focus its January and February 2012 editorial coverage on the greener workplace and, in particular, provide UK SMEs with the critical information and resources they need to catalyse action, and in turn benefit, from implementing energy efficiency solutions.
We will provide in-depth comment and analysis of the following:
1. Who are the new entrants in the energy market place and what energy efficiency solutions are old and new suppliers providing for business?
2. What are the major energy and sustainability performance solutions, and which are the solutions advocated by users?
3. Which are the latest energy efficiency solutions in the built environment, and which ones offer the most promise?
4. Who are the best performers in The Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) league table, and what can UK SMEs learn from them?
5. What’s the importance of the Green Deal and what’s in it for UK SMEs?
6. Is microgeneration the answer for businesses large and small seeking ways to reduce their cost of operations?
Our Position On A Greener Workplace
We’ve reported consistently on energy efficiency for business over the past three years band we believe passionately that UK SMEs could be much more energy efficient if they knew more about the energy-saving solutions that exist to reduce carbon emissions in the normal course of business operations.
Showcase your energy efficient solution
If your company provides energy efficiency solutions for business in categories such as energy supply; lighting; smart meters/monitors; voltage optimisation; ICT; office equipment; renewable energy; and energy and emissions management, we’d like to hear from you.
Alongside our authoritative and widely read content we are offering leading providers of energy efficiency solutions the opportunity to showcase their products and services.
for more details and to download a 'Greener Workplace' media pack.
(*E.ON Research October 2011)